Andy Whitfield's Biography

In July 17, 1971, Andy Whitfield was born in Amlwch, Wales. His parents Robert and Pat Whitfield then moved to Australia in 1999 with his sibling Laura.

Moved to Sydney, Australia after graduating the University of Sheffield, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England for Engineering.


He started acting and modeling while working as an engineer and building inspector for a consulting agency.


In 1999, Andy Whitfield married Terrica Smith-Whitfield and later to Vashti Whitfield. Andy
is father of two wonderful children: Jesse Red Whitfield, born 2005 and Indigo sky Whitfield, born 2007.

He attended Screenwise Film & TV School for Actors, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.


He has appeared in several Australian television series, such as Opening Up, All Saints, The Strip, Packed to the Rafters and McLeod's Daughters. He gained his first prominent role in the Australian supernatural film Gabriel.


Still working his day job as an engineer, he sought a part as a Roman gladiator in ‘Spartacus: Blood and Sand’ and landed the lead role.


Whitfield starred in the 2010 television series Spartacus: Blood and Sand, which is filmed in New Zealand. He plays the part of Spartacus, a soldier condemned to fight as a gladiator and who ultimately leads a rebellion against the Romans.


Whitfield also appears in the upcoming Australian thriller The Clinic starring opposite Tabrett Bethell (of Legend of the Seeker fame), set for release in 2010, which was shot in Deniliquin.


In March 2010, Whitfield was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, beginning treatment immediately in New Zealand. This delayed production of season two of Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Whitfield expects to return for a second season.


In June 2010 it was announced that Whitfield completely finished his treatment and was given a clean bill of health. Regretfully he was expected to be back on the set of Spartacus: Blood and Sand by October but a setback caused delay in filming.


September 2010, it was announced that Whitfield's cancer had returned and he would not be returning for the second season.


Approximately a year later on September 11, 2011 and unforgettably and sadly a day that was in tribute around the world for America’s 9/11, our warrior Andy lost his battle with Lymphoma.


"On a beautiful sunny Sydney spring morning, surrounded by his family, in the arms of his loving wife, our beautiful young warrior Andy Whitfield lost his 18 month battle with lymphoma cancer," Whitfield's wife Vashti said in a statement. "He passed peacefully surrounded by love. Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."


"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield," Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht said in a statement Sunday night. "We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in `Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."




(Even though Andy's has gone from us, remember to continue supplication for Andy and his family.)

Noted, June 24th 2012: Information above has been gathered by internet sources only and any liability with its entirety is not my own.

Ad

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Leave a comment after this post to tribute Andy

Thank you for all the continued prayers for Andy and his family...
 

Leave a comment after this post and I'll make sure it gets on "Andy Whitfield - Leave a comment for Andy" page. ~Moderator of AW Blogsite

* * * *

28 comments:

  1. So sad by his pasing, Spartacus will not be the same. He is the true Spartacus the champion to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad, I enjoyed the series very much. He is the true Spartacus, the champion. My prayers to his family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RIP-Andy, our prayers and thought goes out to your family.
    You will be missed :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is broken. I only hope that Andy's family finds peace, and that his children will someday know what the world thought of their dad. I was mesmerized. I half-joked once that maybe he was a terrible actor, and that this was his true self (on Spartacus). I don't think it was far-fetched...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all feel like we lost something in us . Eternal regret!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We already miss you so much Andy. Life is sometimes so unfair. We'll never forget you. Repose en paix mon ami.
    A french fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a heart-breaking news as we all were waiting for Andy's recovery and strongly believed that we would see him in a new role soon. A great actor, a wonderful man who was fighting for his dreams. Now he is gone - way too soon.
    Spartacus won't be the same, that's for sure but
    most importantly his family must be devastated - my condolences to Andy's wife, kids and family.
    We will all have Andy in our hearts. He will be deeply missed and never forgotten. You can now rest in peace Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me and was a real life hero, a guy i looked you to alot after i first see him i went home ans start lifting weights and have been for a year now ,and i will contuine to do so in his honour He was a great actor , and judging by his wifes statement he was a great family man too, its hard to believe a 39 year old in such great shape could be gone so quick , this guy was a true champion ,and ill miss him so

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rest in Peace, Andy. My thoughts and prayers are ever with your family and friends. There will only ever be one Bringer of Rain, the Champion of Capua. from Rich in Dublin, Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spartacus will not be the same with out you Andy you will always be in my thoughts i will continue to watch spartacus with the episodes wit you in it, because i am obsessed wit spartacus. I feel sorrow and sadness for Andy's family and friends. There are alot of people who loved Andy and his movies. I will never forget Andy i am gunna make a poster with Andy in his spartacus uniform and put it on my wall

    ReplyDelete
  11. huge sadness massive acheivements rest in peace

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let his soul his essence his very being continue to live through all of us and let this belief shine upon all of us and comfort us. Know that he is in a better place where he is at true peace. There will be many, many, many more that will need to battle this terrible disease and if they fall short of conquering this terrible disease they will need their spirit to live through us as well. Try to picture a place where Riperton sings angelic music on a majestic field where her voice brings everlasting joy and fulfillment. Picture a place where Ross paints wonderful masterpieces of the godly, peaceful scenery around him. Now imagine a place where our brave warrior gathers among them both and many others and is greeted with the same compassion and gentleness that the brave warrior had always given to all that knew and meet him. Imagine the love that he is feeling. Imagine the warmth that he is feeling. Imagine the smile on his face. Imagine the glow in his eyes. Imagine. Always have people around you that love and care for you all. Peace and love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. May you rest in peace Andy Whitfield. I believe God has taken you early because he needs you by his side. I pray that your family finds strength from god to help them through this tough time.You will be missed by many including those that never even knew you personally

    ReplyDelete
  14. My prayers and thoughts are with Andy's family, friends, and fans. He was such a young wonderful actor. Spartacus was the first show in a long time that I refused to miss. Andy was such a great actor and I so appreciative to have gotten to see Andy on the show. The one thing that drew me to the show is the love that Spartacus had for Sura. He was so passionate in his acting. He truly won my heart! Hugs Julie King

    ReplyDelete
  15. A light that bright will never go out, your light keeps burning within everyone you touched. My deepest respect and love goes to your family at this sad and tragic time.
    Thank you Andy for making TV great again, you will be sadly missed around the world.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andy est et restera le seul spartacus.
    Il avait la classe, le charme, la vulnérabilité, le courage et la détermination d'un vrai guerrier dans la vie, que l'on ne retrouve pas chez son remplaçant trop jeune et fier. Andy avait l'air plus sincère, humble et avec une grande force. Il aurait été un grand acteur et je suis triste de son départ. On t'aime champion de capoue.
    Condoléances à sa famille

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ты будешь всегда смотреть на мир через наши глаза. Ты будешь всегда в наших сердцах. Ты будешь улыбаться, радоваться взрослению своих детей, живя в нас. Я молилась каждый день о твоем выздоровлении. Сейчас я молюсь, чтоб ты был просто рядом со мной. Спасибо за то, что ты есть. Ulyana, Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My deepest sympathies go out to Andy's family in this tragic time, Andy was a great actor whom i enjoyed watching in Spartacus and Gabriel. Thank-you for entertaining us Andy, you will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can not believe that you do not ... Every day I prayed for your recovery. Now I pray that you just been there. You'll see the world through our eyes. You'll be smiling in our smile. I robbed the whole world. You are forever with us. It is difficult to write, tears veiled eyes ... You have become me to his elder brother, whom I have never had ... Thank you for what you have. I can not say - was. Now we have a movie with you. But you - with us. You - in us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I die young, bury me in satin
    Lay me down on a, bed of roses
    Sink me in the river, at dawn
    Send me away with the words of a love song.....
    ....Lord make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother
    She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh and
    Life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no
    Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby

    The sharp knife of a short life, well
    I've had just enough time

    ReplyDelete
  21. God bless your family. I cried because I learn to like Andy. He was a gift for us. Here, in Brazil, we were sad so much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Andy wherever you are.. you were far from me and still you are far.i dont want to believe you are gone. i will always believe that you are still far from me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We will miss Andy so much! When I read this, I couldn't and didn't want to believe it! My thoughts go to his family and friends! All my Love to everybody!
    X Este

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its so fucking sad... I lost my brother one year ago, he was 39 too, he had two young children... I dont know why such terrible things happens... where is the sense of this.............. Sleep in peace...........

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know why i came to feel so much affection for you, Andy.
    We never met, i never heard you speak personally.
    Though it feels as if it's a friend i've lost.
    I can't stop thinking about what happened to you
    and the life you could have lived if only given another chance..
    So unfair, for your children, for your wife and friends.
    We all come after, but still suffer for you..
    So, good bye to the dearest friend i was never albe to meet..
    Alessio

    ReplyDelete
  26. As the same, never met... but pulled into the roles you played and down when i heard you would not be in another season due to ill fate, now to know you wont again in time is worse.....heres me sounding like all i care about is the roles you played.....keep your chin up and keep an eye down on those you left behind my friend, an army of fans and your family first, those that dont forget. Hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Andy Whitfield, I didnt know of you until two weeks ago when I started watching Spartacus, and I was suddenly mesmerized by you. You are the most beautiful man I ever saw and I too cant stop thinking about how you were taken too early from this world. My heart goes out to your family and friends. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus I appreciate when I see well written material. Your time isn’t going to waste with your posts. Thanks so much and stick with it No doubt you will definitely reach your goals! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Andy's Movie Poster - Gabriel

Andy's Movie Poster - Gabriel
"Many friends will walk in and out of your life but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart" ~Unknown

"Friends, you and me. You brought another and then there were three. We started out group our circle of friends and like that circle there is no beginning or end." ~Unknown

Andy's Movie Posters

"To handle yourself use your head, with others use your heart" ~Unknown

Film and television credits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Whitfield

Year Title Role Notes
2004 All Saints (TV series) Matthew Parkes TV episode: "Opening Up"
2007 Gabriel (film) Gabriel Film (Australia)
2008 The Strip (Australian TV series) Charlie Palmer TV episodes
2008 Packed to the Rafters Nick Leigh TV episode: "All in the Planning"
2008 McLeod's Daughters Brett Samuels TV episode: "Nowhere to Hide"
2010 The Clinic Cameron Film
2009-2010 Spartacus: Blood and Sand Spartacus Regular; being replaced due to his cancer
2011 Spartacus: Gods of the Arena Spartacus TV prequel & spin-off;Guest star


Never accept defeat...

Blog Archive

Gladiator's Oath